This WW1 German UCII Mine laying Submarine of 500 Ton was built in Bremen and commissioned in Feb 1916, was 52m long and had a crew of 30. She had a successful war sinking 27 ships in a year of service. She had 3 commanders in this period and the latest Olzs Schwartz was in the first day of this patrol when they set off alarms trying to penetrate the Dover Barrage on the 20 June 1918.
Several of the attending drifters immediately launch attacks with their depth charges and soon they had bubbles, oil and debris rising from a stationary position. Soon afterwards Commander Damant’s outstanding Navy Divers “The Tin Openers” were on the scene and reported the Sub well broken up, with a huge amount of damage to the underside of the control room area.
Using explosives they gained further access to the Sub to gather intelligence and positively identify her.
Diving: Today the wreck is very broken on a sandy seabed in a General depth of 42m with scours dropping down to 47m and a little deeper at the bow end. The wreck has its large props in place and very prominent and the conning tower is off the side. The removal of the conning tower with explosives was quite standard practice for the Tin Openers. The gun is in place in front of the hole where you can look into the control room area. The mine chutes are clearly on show, elements of the wreck rise up several metres proud with the top being at 37m, however with its broken condition it is better to plan for 43m.